Southern Ontario has enjoyed an extended summer. When do you remember wearing shorts in the middle of October? After the nasty rain and wind this week, fall seems to have finally arrived.
With a new season comes new driving challenges. October if car safety month and this weather is a great reminder that you need to get your automobile ready for…yes…WINTER!
Be Car Care Aware (becarcareaware.ca)recommends the following 10 maintenance tips:
- Check all fluids, including engine oil, power steering, brake and transmission as well as windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check the hoses and belts to make sure they are not cracked, brittle, frayed, loose or showing signs of excessive wear.
- Check the battery and replace if necessary. Make sure the connection is clean, tight and corrosion-free.
- Check the brake system annually and have the brake linings, rotors and drums inspected at each oil change.
- Inspect the exhaust system for leaks, damage and broken supports or hangers if there is an unusual noise. Exhaust leaks can be dangerous and must be corrected without delay.
- Schedule a tune-up to help the engine deliver the best balance of power and fuel economy and produce the lowest level of emissions.
- Check the heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) system as proper heating and cooling performance is critical for interior comfort and for safety reasons such as defrosting.
- Inspect the steering and suspension system annually including shock absorbers, struts and chassis parts such as ball joints, tie rod ends and other related components.
- Check the tires, including tire pressure and tread. Uneven wear indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tires should also be checked for bulges and bald spots.
- Check the wipers and lighting so that you can see and be seen. Check that all interior and exterior lighting is working properly and replace worn wiper blades so you can see clearly when driving during precipitation.
For more tips, visit Be Car Care Aware
Always follow the rules of the road and be safe. If an unfortunate accident occurs and you or someone you know is injured in an accident, APEX Health Network is one call away from helping to get you back on the road.